Physical Therapist Assistant Instructor
Instruct and implement the Physical Therapist Assistant program to educate students in accordance with the curriculum standards and objectives.
- Implement and evaluate daily lesson plans for students to include scheduled activities and materials of semesters.
- Assess curriculum and provide input based on expectations within the profession and contemporary expertise.
- Participate in the development of processes and procedures to ensure students’ readiness and safety prior to their clinical education experience.
- Participate in continuing education courses to acquire and improve knowledge in teaching methodologies, adult learning and creating effective learning experiences.
- Participate in PMI service and/or professional service events.
- Plan instruction to achieve specific objectives based upon student need and established curriculum.
- Monitor the attendance of students in the program and coordinate with Associate Director when absences occur two days in a row. Prepare attendance reports weekly for the office management department.
- Review student success rates and implement plan to reduce student withdrawals. Meet with students to encourage them to stay in the program. Maintain an 80% student success rate for all classes taught in the program.
- Maintain student grades in accordance with established policies. Prepare final grades at the end of each semester to update student records and transcripts.
- Evaluate the performance of students regarding achievements in curriculum and activities and make necessary provisions to meet learning needs.
- Arrange and coordinate guest speakers, field trips and visits to therapy clinics.
- Prepare lectures, labs and practical demonstrations for students in class and individually.
- Assist and advise students with Physical Therapist Assistant program curriculum.
- May assist and coordinate externships for Physical Therapist Assistant students.
- Participates in projects to assist in meeting department goals as determined by the Program Director.
The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented.
- Associate’s degree from an accredited Physical Therapist Assistant or Physical Therapy program recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or a graduate of an otherwise recognized training entity (e.g., hospital-based program) as a Physical Therapist Assistant or Physical Therapist.
- Baccalaureate degree preferred. Instructors teaching general education courses must possess a bachelor’s degree with appropriate education in specific courses being taught.
- Three (3) years of full-time, or equivalent, post licensure clinical experience as a Physical Therapist Assistant or Physical Therapist.
- One (1) year of documented experience as an instructor in a CAPTE accredited Physical Therapist Assistant or Physical Therapy program preferred.
- Current Physical Therapist Assistant or Physical Therapy licenses, certifications, or other designations as required by local, state, or federal laws to work as a PTA or PT.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic educational theory and methodology, instructional design and student evaluation and outcomes assessments.
- Verbal and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and computer skills.