Online Instructor - Communications
The Online Instructor teaches students in online communication courses to help them achieve course and program objectives. Online instructors for Communications will demonstrate the wide range of communication skills necessary for success in health professions. Topics included in our communications courses include verbal and nonverbal communication, technical and professional writing, speaking and listening critically, health literacy, and evaluating and synthesizing material from diverse cultural sources and points of view, among others.
REMOTE position, approximately 12 hours per week teaching an online class of 25 students or less.
- Teach online courses in accordance with established online instructor guidelines.
- Provide feedback to students on assignments and additional assistance to those having difficulty with course content.
- Maintain an acceptable student pass rate for all classes taught in the program.
- Maintain student grades in accordance with established policies. Prepare and report final grades at the end of each course.
- Monitor students’ online activity and report concerns weekly regarding student academic progress to the Program Director.
- Actively assist with retention efforts by contacting students who are not actively engaged in courses by phone, text or email. Advise students regarding academic progress and course participation. Respond to student communication within 24 hours and grade all assignments within 48 hours of the due date.
- Refer students with questions regarding financial aid, transcripts, and other issues to the proper personnel.
- Participate in professional development and continuing education as required.
- Attend regular faculty meetings – synchronously or asynchronously.
- Remain current with professional trends and advances in technology.
The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented.
- Master’s degree from an accredited program recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council of Higher Education Accreditation and at least 15 college credits in English and/or Communications.
- Three (3) years of experience teaching and/or tutoring English/Communications.
- Current license, certification, or other credential as required by local, state and/or federal laws to work in the field for those teaching professional courses.
- Experience with online instruction preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other basic computer/internet applications.