Student Loan Assistant
Educate delinquent borrowers with repayment options and default prevention methods.
- Maintain or reduce overall default rates.
- Contact delinquent borrowers through verbal or written correspondence to avoid default.
- Advise students of the consequences of allowing their loans to go into default.
- Apply proven strategies to assist borrowers in an effort to positively impact the annual cohort default rate and minimize the number of borrowers who default on their student loans.
- Utilize all available skip tracing techniques to locate and resolve students with delinquent loans.
- Able to access the NSLDS to review student status and CampusVue.
- Utilize computer system to retrieve and provide current information on current and graduated/withdrawn students.
- Work to lower the total defaults by reducing the number of delinquent loan borrowers.
- Answer incoming phone calls and respond to email inquiries.
- Assist students with resolving accounts through repayment options, deferments and forbearance and consolidation options.
- Work in conjunction with designated lenders and guarantors to resolve student loan delinquencies.
- Weekly mail delinquency letters based on days of delinquencies and emails.
- Research methods to contact and locate students via telephone.
- Communicate effectively and on a timely basis with student borrowers, servicers, NSLDS and loan guarantors concerning status, enrollment status and default aversion information. Ensure an accurate CDR measure.
- Perform general clerical duties.
- Attend webinar and workshops to keep abreast of changes in federal law and procedures. Assist in the implementation of changes in loan policies per federal regulations.
The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- One (1) year of default management and/or financial aid experience preferred.
- Computer skills, to include Microsoft Excel and working with spreadsheets.
- Any equivalent combination of training, education or experience that meets the minimum qualifications.